The 2015 TDU kicks off this weekend. Here’s the basics.
1. January 20th – 25thth.
2. Six stages.
3. Adelaide, Australia.
4. Known as the ‘TDU’.
5. Relatively flat course.
6. It’ll be hot (40 degrees sometimes).
7. Willunga Hill is the biggest ascent (Stage 5, January 24th).
8. It’s been going since 1999 but has only had UCI top ranking since 2008.
9. The overall leader wears an ochre coloured jersey.
10. Last year’s winner was Simon Gerrans. He’ll not be there this year due to injury.
11. Andre Griepel has won it twice (2008 and 2010) but won’t be present this year due to injury.
12. Other absentees: Quintana, Kwiatkowski, Cavendish (they’ll be at the Tour de San Luis) and Contador, Froome, Sagan (they’ll be at training camps).
13. It will be local boy Cadel Evans’ last WorldTour event before he retires.
14. Possible winnners: Michael Rogers, Richie Porte, Marcel Kittel (the TDU suits sprinters), Tiago Machado (he will be looking to kick off his career at Katusha), Geraint Thomas and Cadel Evans (he has never won it before).
15. Keep an eye out for bush fires.
16. Lots of new bikes and new bike tech will be unveiled and spied during the TDU.