Merlin X2.0 Ultegra Mix Carbon Cyclocross Bike - 2016
The Merlin X2.0 Ultegra Mix Carbon Cyclocross bike is a lightweight, stiff and responsive high-performance cross bike that’s ready to race straight out of the box. The X2.0 Carbon is our first full carbon fibre cyclocross bike which features a tapered head tube and a carbon fork with a full-carbon steerer and oversize fork legs that eliminate the potential for front brake chatter. This is not a fragile feeling carbon bike though, it’s stiff and reliable and more than capable for the rigours of racing and UK trail bashing.
We’ve used 24-ton carbon as it has greater impact resistance and is less brittle than other slightly lighter carbons such as 60-ton so you’re not limited to just using the Merlin X2.0 Carbon in traditional cyclocross races, it will easily cope with more adventurous rides into wilder, tougher terrain. The X2.0 Carbon features internal cable routing and full-cable-outers to keep gear cables clean and shifting smoothly despite the dirt, grit and grime you’ll encounter. With an ergonomically shaped down tube and top tube our carbon cross bike it’s easy to grab and shoulder during racing while there’s loads of tyre clearance in the frame and fork with disc brakes at the hubs meaning there’s more mud clearance between the frame and the tyres than on a traditional cantilever brake cyclocross bike. A pressfit BB30 bottom bracket reduces Q-factor and decreases weight whilst also increasing stiffness where it’s needed most. This top-end build features fully hydraulic Shimano RS685 disc brakes disc brakes and a fantastic wheelset in the guise of a pair of DT Swiss R24 DB Spline wheels.
Designed in Britain, built in Belgium the X2.0 Ultegra Mix Carbon Cyclocross bike is ready for whatever you can throw at it – national level cyclocross racing, gravel, grass, tarmac, grim weather, whatever you ask of this cross bike it will deliver.
- Frame: Merlin CX 24-Ton high-modulus unidirectional carbon fibre
- Fork: Full carbon tapered
- Wheels: DT Swiss R24 DB Spline Disc
- Tyres: Challenge Grifo Plus 700c x 32mm
- Gear / Brake Levers: Shimano RS685 Hydraulic STI Shifters
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 FD-5800
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra RD-6800
- Chainset: FSA Gossamer 172.5, 36 / 46T
- Cassette: Shimano 105 CS-5800 11 Speed 11-28
- Chain: KMC 11 Speed
- Pedals: Not included
- Saddle: 4ZA Stratos 7DD
- Seatpost: 4ZA Seatpost 350
- Handlebars: 4ZA Handlebars 42cm
- Stem: 4ZA Stem 100mm
- Brakes: Shimano RS685 Hydraulic disc brake caliper with SRAM rotors